Random rants on a huge variety of (mostly) interesting topics.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Too Much News!!

Whoa! Over a month and I definitely seem to be missing in action, right? Even though those of you who seem to have visited this blog recently (such as Karky) might have noticed my resurfacing. A little background news now (in other words, the reason why I had vanished) actually it's quite simple, really - one Thursday I switched on my computer and found that the internet wasn't working (I use MTNL broadband 256 Kbps [that's 32 KBps] by the way; what do you use?) and this continued till the following day (which was Friday). And then on Saturday, before Windows (I wonder why Bill Gates invents such crappy stuff - Apple OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is much better [though it has a really long name] - although Vista definitely looks good [of course, it's copied stuff from Tiger])… umm, getting back to what I was saying, before Windows even loaded, I got the following cryptic message (in DOS):

Drive C Error.
Abort, Retry, Fail, Ignore?

And I didn't know what to do (all the 4 options invariably ended up shutting down the computer). Naturally, I called a computer engineer (these guys are such fools!). he looked at what was happening, typed a little funny stuff (in DOS), shook his head wisely and pronounced: "Arreh! Ise toh format karna padega!" (Div, if you don't remember hindi, then this means "Oh! You'll have to format this!")
So, well, we, uh, proceeded to format the computer, after which things went seriously wrong. He somehow forgot to load the driver for my USB card, rendering my Internet useless. Then, after installing Norton AntiVirus, I scanned the computer (around 1 1/2 hours it took) and this is what I got:



So you see, nearly 650 files infected and all those 'repaired' had errors in them! Thanks to Norton %&%@@#$$#%@#! And I couldn't do anything about it because our exams started off.
However, I was just lookin' around and I came upon this folder filled with some 40-odd NES ROMs. So what exactly are NES games? Well, NES stands for Nintendo Emulation System (remember those TV Video games you used to play [like Contra and Tank]? Well, NES is sorta like that). So, I found these NES games which could be played on a computer (with rather bad graphics) using an emulator (a program which, um, emulates the NES) such as the one you can find below:

fwNES (DOS Emulator) or FCE Ultra (Windows).

One of the better games was Darkwing Duck:



Oh, and if you want any of these games you might ask me politely (if you don't mind) for the list of games or the games themselves.
Meanwhile some interesting games have been/are gonna be released (soon):






I'm still wondering why they released UT 2007 in 2005 - doesn't really make much sense.

Meanwhile, Apple's been up to its tricks by simultaneously releasing 3 products: an iPod, and iMac and some PowerBooks.
The iPod 5g, called the iPod Video is the coolest thing that can ever exist. Apple seems to have achieved its ambition of integrating video in the iPod (I know this could be done with a Linux Hack but that's not the same thing) and at the same time making it thinner, more spacious, with a bigger screen, and cheaper. Wow!





And then there's the NEW iMac G5 which is basically Apple's copy of a Windows Media Center Edition PC (fancy Apple copying something from the M-company).



And have you taken a peek at the Harry Potter iPod? I bet this is the first time you're seeing it!



Meanwhile, Harry Potter and the GOF Movie's second trailer's been released (you did see the first one, didn't you? If not, too bad, dudes). You can get it here.

Oh, and I almost forgot, us privileged members of the clan of Exun have received free copies of Extreme Windows (which costs Rs. 5000 in the market). This kit includes Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional SP2 original edition (complete with an uber-cool hologram), Visual C++ 2005 Beta 2 and DirectX 9.0c SDK with Platform SDK! Yay! Aren't you gonna envy someone? (but I'll share it with you if you want me to).

Today's Hallowe'en (you knew that, right - I got to know yesterday) and I've found some Hallowe'en wallpapers. (slightly eerie, they look):





By the way, the person who's read my post all the way through from top to bottom is gonna get a prize (yea, coz I know this is the world's longest post)!!

-- Sahil!

7 Comments:

Blogger [\\Kartikeya//] said...

i know. it's toooooooooooooooooooo long!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ne ways, I AM NOT GONNA ENVY U FOR WHAT YOU HAVE GOT FROM EXUN FOR THE SIMPLE REASON - I HAVE EVERYTHING MENTIONED IN THE KIT EXPECT FOR SDK (MAYBE), WHAT IS THE FULL FORM OF THAT WORD???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:28 am

 
Blogger blog.sahil.me said...

SDK = Software Development Kit....
p.s. when i said 'envy' i meant arjun and divyanshu coz i alreday knew that u probably have all that stuff coz of some reason or the other (like resourceful bros for example)......
and anyway, i'll share it with u (any of u) if you ever want me to...

2:23 am

 
Blogger [\\Kartikeya//] said...

oh, i see. sry!!!!
neways, i guess i might borrow SDK from u if you don't mind!!!?????

4:52 am

 
Blogger arjun said...

hey sahil can i have a list of the snes games so i can (politely) ask for some of them or atleast where you got them from plz.

5:23 am

 
Blogger arjun said...

oh i already knew about nes or snes but i need some roms

5:24 am

 
Blogger blog.sahil.me said...

@karky: yeah, i already said i don't mind giving u any of the discs....

@arjun: i got the roms from my comp. engineer.....i'll give you the list soon...

12:33 am

 
Blogger [\\Kartikeya//] said...

yeppee!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:47 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home